Charles Plumb recounts his story as a jet fighter pilot during the war in Vietnam. After 75 combat missions his plane was destroyed by a surface-to-air missile. Plumb safely ejected, parachuted and was eventually captured and thrown into a Vietnamese prison for six years.
Years later, Plumb and his wife were eating in a local restaurant when a man said to him, “You’re Plumb! You flew jet fighters in Vietnam. You were shot down!”
Surprised, Plumb asked, “How in the world did you know that?” The man replied, “I’m the guy who packed your parachute.”
Later Plumb reflected on his experience. A stranger had spent long hours at a wooden table in the belly of an aircraft carrier, carefully weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of each chute for someone he didn’t know. It was this man who had provided Plumb with what he needed to make it through a very difficult period of life.
Plumb’s story reminds me that all of us have people who, ‘pack our parachute!’ A person or stranger, who provided encouragement, affirmation and guidance to help us make it through some difficult or challenging period of life.
And here’s what’s really cool—the Bible is full of stories about men and women who packed the parachutes of God’s servants!
- Mordecai ‘packed the parachute’ of Esther—see Esther 2
- Barnabas ‘packed the parachute’ of John Mark—see Acts 15:36-41
- Paul ‘packed the parachute’ of Timothy—see 1 Timothy 4:11-16
Recently, I received a letter from a discouraged young minister, who participated in one of BrookLink’s training experiences, “Your teaching gave me the tools I need to teach responsibly and biblically. You affirmed my gifts and taught me so much about preaching just from sharing your preaching experiences.”
For the last 8 years:
- YOU have sent BrookLink into places of the world that are often under-resourced, frequently overlooked and openly opposed to the gospel.
- YOU have empowered courageous men and women serving out their calling as faithful ministers of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- YOUR gifts have provided teaching and training, counsel and consult, encouragement and affirmation to those YOU did not know!
“Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because YOU have refreshed the hearts of the saints.” (Philemon 6,7)
None of this would have been possible without YOU!!
Thank you so much making a difference,
PS: Every time you pray for BrookLink or make a financial gift, you are helping to ‘pack the parachute’ of a man or woman serving Christ in a hard place. Learn more at www.BrookLink.org.